Friday, August 12, 2011

Yes, More New Arrivals.



Beautiful Dun Mare and her Mule colt, new arrivals.

I really didn't want to do it. I am struggling to care for all the horses here at the rescue farm and at our North Georgia location. Our grass is gone, hay prices are going up and I lay awake worrying about the future. So when someone sent me a Craigslist ad from Statesboro Georgia, I ignored it, almost.










Well, it was not just a mare but it was her 2 month old baby. It tugged at my heart so I opened the ad and I say a very malnourished mare and her cute little baby mule. OK Statesboro is a 4 hour trip, one way! I know without much help here lately, I can't leave for a whole day. I posted the ad to my SaveTheHorses.org page on Facebook. Someone said they could foster and many even adopt the mom once the baby was weaned and they lived in South Georgia and they could possibly transport. Things were starting to look good. Now I have a foster home who can pick up the horses and keep them a while. I called the owner from the ad. he said the mare is getting in fights with the other mare, most likely to protect her baby, and is going through the barbed wire fencing. He wanted her out of their and fast. He said if she wasn't sold by Friday, she and baby would be at auction on Saturday. Now the pressure was on me. Can I get this done? Do I have all my ducks in a row? I think so. The owner and I agreed on a price of $150. The price between life and death for these two innocent victims.





I sent the money through paypal so the owner would have it and know I am serious and will get his 'problem' mare and foal out of there. he said he'd give me a few days to move them but not too long. After all, horses fighting where there is barbed wire is a problem. I contacted the possible foster home and was told it was not possible to pick up the horses. WHAT? Wait, I am 4 hours away, they need to get out ASAP and I need Plan B which I didn't have. Sit down, take a breath, now think....






OK Who has a truck and trailer and time? I asked a few people and get a 'yes, I can' from a great friends daughter. Of course, a pony clubber who loves horses and it a horse whisperer. Brigitte headed out of the trip with another great young volunteer, Nicholas. They managed to get there and back before dark . That was another $200. in gas but money well spent. I am sure you agree. The mare and foal have been happy to have room to run and get regular meals. I may have a good home lined up too.



Just in a day's work here at the horse rescue.


Thank you for all your support. We couldn't do it without you.

2 comments:

litlredneck said...

You are just amazing and I am so glad to be a part of this group. :) Thank you for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Your whole organizations is so awesome!! You guys are amazing people!