Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Bye Lady Jane

Lady Jane has left us. We let her go with dignity. It is the hardest choice to make for any horse. There is no turning back, no changing your mind once you euthanize them. All you have left are the memories and they make your heart feel empty for a long time. 
Sandy put bows on Lady Jane before we let her go to Heaven.
It was nearly a year ago that Lady Jane arrived. Everyone gathered around the trailer to see this majestic beauty. She was a big elegant Percheron mare. Beauty's Haven Equine Rescue (http://www.bhfer.orgin Florida asked if we could take her. She wasn't doing well in the humidity of a Florida summer. She seemed to have some breathing problems. She moved slowly and flared her nostrils. All of the volunteers loved her but Sandy Lehman was totally in love with Lady Jane. She wanted to adopt her but I wanted to make sure Lady Jane was healthy and didn't have any breathing problems like COPD. If she did, Sandy most likely would still adopt her but we would know exactly what she needed to keep her healthy.
Sandy riding Lady in the ring.

As the weather cooled, she started moving better and breathing fine. Sandy started to gently ride her and they both seemed happy to be best friends.



 Sandy started to buy her feed and Lady Jane was never without special treats. Everything seemed perfect.



It was early March when she started laying down. 

We didn't notice a limp for a few days. She was a trooper. The farrier came out to see her, then the vet came out to check out her foot. An abscess is painful but treatable with some work and patience. 
Looking for abscess


More farrier care, more soaking her foot, applying special medications that were sent to cure her. We had radiographs done, dug out infections, cleaned them out to have another place on her hoof start oozing with pus. 
Sandy soaking her foot

Then it would come out above her hoof, more radiographs, more medications, more soaking, more prayers, more hope. All the while we had Lady Jane on anti-inflammatory medication so she would stay comfortable. 
Regional limb perfusion


We did not want to give up. Dr Mary Pat Hill donated her time and expertise to do homeopathic remedies and acupuncture regularly. Sher Kerr volunteered to do Reiki treatments. Everyone sending good thoughts and prayers. We even considered seeing if we could get a prosthetic hoof made for her if we could figure out how to make it work comfortably. We has so many wonderful suggestions for horse lovers everywhere.
Beautiful Lady!
Now 4 months and $3000 later, we could not win this battle against the infection. Lady Jane was put to rest in the big pasture, covered with her new blanket and lovely roses placed at her head. 
Sandy is going to pay Lady Jane's medical bills. Though she never adopted Lady Jane on paper, she surely adopted her with her heart and soul. 

 We question every decision, every treatment. We so wanted a better ending and not now but years from now. Sandy was here every day, many days for hours. I sang to Lady Jane every evening. I would do my night time barn check and sing, 'Lady, when you're with me, I'm smiling'. Now I am crying. 

We will always miss Lady Jane. The emptiness will start to fade away but right now it hurts so much. It is heavy on our minds.

Then one of our little volunteers, Sydney, sent this picture. She says this is Lady Jane running after crossing the Rainbow Bridge and we smile.  

I am sure she is right! Run on Lady Jane! 

Visit us on FaceBook 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-Horses/157377764374603

and visit our website www.SaveTheHorses.org 

10 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm crying with you Cheryl. She was a proud and elegant mare. She is loved by many.

Anonymous said...

so sorry...im crying too..

Michele said...

What a wonderful opportunity you gave her - and she was surrounded by love. There is no regret - only love.... Thank you from all of us who love horses...

BarbB said...

Lady Jane is a beautiful girl, loved by so many.The bows in her mane made her look like royalty. Thanks for all you did while trying to help her. Run painlessly with the heavenly herd for eternity, Lady Jane.

Anonymous said...

awwww so sad n my throughts r with all that was there as a family to lady jane..sometimes we help foght fights for who we love but sometimes god has bigger plans..my prayers continue for all n for myself as i am a horse lover n more!! rip lady jane................

pisslefart said...

I am so sorry for you loss. Especially the lady that wanted to adopt her. God Bless all of you for being Angels on Earth.

Anonymous said...

This breaks my heart. I too have gone through this and paid all the vet bills on a rescue horse only to have to put her down after a 4 month battle with a bad hoof infection. It was the biggest heart break. I totally feel the pain you are all suffering over the loss of this beautiful horse. This has brought such pain to my heart and I am left in tears feeling for you all. God bless you for taking the time to love her and do what you could for her. I wish there something I could say to help ease your pain. I will definitely include you all in my prayers.

Sandy Lehmann said...

I'm so impressed with all the responses about our Lady Jane. She was beautiful inside and out. At this time, I am lucky enough to be able to cover her medical bills. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER all the other horses that are in need of some extra special care. We have two that are in serious condition and will need the support of everyone helping. If you could/or would please help in honor of Lady Jane it would be greatly appreciated. Much love to everyone and thank you. Love Sandy Lehmann

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that SavetheHORSES is the closest thing to heaven on earth I have ever experienced!The ladies and gentlemen that care for all the animals at the rescue are truly hiding wings under those barn buddy t shirts!Lady Jane had to have been beyond happy to retire and later fall in love with Sandy and Cheryl...never in my life have i witnessed so much love and compassion for broken,wounded and rejected special creatures of all shapes and sizes..from slinging up Alby to give his tired legs a rest,to adding fresh bedding to the dog house for the very large pet pig, to herding chihuahuas and bringing starving colts back from the brink of death...rescued minis right outta folks living rooms and blind or one eared all are welcome and loved beyond measure....I am sure lady Jane is telling God what a wonderful life she was given at the end of hers~Thank you all for showing me that LOVE really is all that matters in the end! We should all visit and support this farm for it is truly one thing I am proud to be a part of left on this planet! May God bring the increase and provide every need in His Powerful name...those are all His animals and you have been choosen to teach us all how its done while here...thank you for showing me what matters! I love you all and am sorry for the many losses you have recently had to undertake...please press on ..many more will come! God knows how special your hearts are...and i have been a witness! THANK YOU ALL! Love deb

Anonymous said...

I have mixed emotions (though sadness is prevailing at the moment). On one hand, I am so happy Lady Jane was there for her final year. On the other, it breaks my heart to know she is gone. I enjoyed my time with her so much and I will miss her every time I visit. Elizabeth Kennedy