Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Need a Rifle? He Needs you!



This is Rifle.
He is about 13 years old, or at least that is what I was told. He is in Jasper, GA. The GDA asked me if I could help Rifle. He was owned by a local Bed and Breakfast but couldn't pay his own way so he had to go. Can’t afford to feed a horse ya’ can’t ride! I hate that mentality.

He was lame, had a twisted shoe that was too small on his foot and needed help. The lady who came to Rifle’s rescue tried her best but she is 78 years old. Her husband passed away a few years ago and she can't keep up the farm too well nor keep up with Rifle's needs. I brought her feed and hay Saturday and had had Jan, a wonderful farrier, go out there Monday. He needs a farrier to trim his feet every 7 days for 6 weeks or so, to even get the hoof back halfway normal. Will he be sound? I can't answer that. What he needs is a veterinary check with radiographs to see if he coffin bone is rotated beyond repair.

He isn’t complaining. He just lays down a lot. He is gentle and knows we are there to help. He can’t stand on the worst foot so he needs to be trimmed the best a farrier can do when he is laying down.

Anyone interested in helping Rifle? We could use somewhere for him to go. We could use someone to help with costs of vet and farrier. After the radiographs, it may be determined it is kinder to not let him suffer and have him humanely euthanized. I just don’t have those answer yet.

Please let me know if YOU can help in any way. Your time, your money, your prayers, your help!

Let me make a quick note about Mrs.G. She is a sweet old woman who is an animal lover. She has 8 pot belly pigs, a few dogs and cats and a few chickens. Her van broke so she was having it towed to a mechanic. She can afford to feed her animals right now, they are all fat except for Rifle. It is probably better that he is underweight and not adding more stress to his painful feet. Her property needs to be cleaned up, fences repaired, pasture push hogged, and wood piles burned. I’d like to get a group of volunteers to go help and clean up one afternoon She would be happy and proud if her farm looked like it did when her husband was alive. She told me he kept it so nice. She also told me she is going to try and send a donation to the rescue . She is a lady who will give all she has to a good cause. Right now, I think she is the good cause. If you want to help, please email me at Horseinc@aol.com


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wonderful people to jump in and help like this. SO understanding and kind. I wish the world was over-run with people like you. <3

Horseinc said...

Thank you, Anonymous. It is just the right thing to do. Our rescue farm is filled with people who are kind and understanding.